5 to 10 Years
Developmental Stages & Accomplishments
• Child has a growing sense of self and ability.
• Strength, motor skills and coordination develop at their own rate. Children the same age my not have the same skills or abilities.
• Starts looking to friends for peer acceptance.
Pedestrian & Bike Safety
- Teach child to not play in streets or behind parked cars.
- Make sure child’s bike is right size – child’s feet should be able to touch ground and the hands able to rest on the handlebars.
- Child must correctly wear bike helmets at all times – the front should cover the forehead.
- Child should learn to swim.
- Never let child swim without adult supervision.
- Adult should check depth of water before child dives in. (Should be 9 feet deep minimum)
- Child should always wear a life jacket in canoe, kayak or boat.
- Wear the recommended equipment and clothing for each sport.
- Choose equipment accordingly to size of child.
- Child should drink plenty of water before, during and after activity.
- Use booster seats up to age 8, or up to 80 lbs., 4’9”, when child travels in cars.
- After 8 years old, use seat belts whenever traveling in cars.
- The back seat of a car is the safest place for a child to ride.
- Use safety caps on medicines and household cleaners.
- Do not let child apply insecticides.
- Show child how to use household cleaning products safely – keeps hands away from eyes, wash hands after use.
- Keep guns unloaded in home and ammunition stored separately.
- Check with homes where child visits to find out if guns are present and how they are stored.
Fire & Burn Safety
- Repeatedly apply sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher (it dissolves after swimming or sweating.)