If you think someone has been poisoned,
CALL 1-800-222-1222 right away!
- 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.Call FAST to treat a poisoning!
- Call FIRST to prevent a poisoning!
FIRST AID FOR POISONING
Has the person collapsed or stopped breathing?
Call 911 or your local emergency number right away.Poison in the eyes?
Rinse eyes with running water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Call 1-800-222-1222Poison on the skin?
Take off any clothing that the poison touched.
Rinse skin with running water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Call 1-800-222-1222Inhale poison?
Get to fresh air right away.
Call 1-800-222-1222Swallowed the wrong medicine or too much medicine?
Call 1-800-222-1222Swallowed something that’s not food or medicine?
Drink a small amount of milk or water.
Poison Prevention Tips
- Store Poisons Safely
- Store medicines and household products locked up, where children cannot see or reach them.
- Store poisons in their original containers.
- Use child-resistant packaging. But remember- nothing is child-proof!
- Use Poisons Safely
- Read the label. Follow the directions on medicines and products.
- Are children around? Take the product or medicine with you to answer the door or the phone.
- Lock products and medicines up after using them.
- Is it medicine? Call it medicine, not candy.
- Children learn by imitation. Take your medicines where children can’t watch.
- Teach Children to Ask First
- Poisons can look like food or drink. Teach children to ask an adult before eating or drinking anything.
- Click here for a link to the Hawaii Department of Agriculture Web Site.