- Study the conditions before entering the ocean.
- Observe the activities of others in the ocean (i.e. if everyone is on surfboards, swimming might not be the best activity at that beach).
- Ask the lifeguards.
- Know your limits in the water.
- If in doubt, don’t go out.
- Swim in life-guarded areas.
- Never swim alone.
- Don’t dive into unknown water or into shallow breaking waves.
- Check with lifeguard on beach and surf conditions before swimming.
- If you are unable to swim out of a strong current, call or wave for help.
- Rely on your swimming ability rather than floatation apparatus.
- Do not leave valuables unattended on the beach.
- Consumption of alcohol is not allowed on beaches.
- Lifeguards can assist you with your emergency needs while at the beach.
City and County of Honolulu Ocean Lifeguard Services Website