Poison Prevention

If you think someone has been poisoned,

CALL 1-800-222-1222 right away!

  • 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.Call FAST to treat a poisoning!
  • Call FIRST to prevent a poisoning!

Has the person collapsed or stopped breathing?

Call 911 or your local emergency number right away.Poison in the eyes?
Rinse eyes with running water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Call 1-800-222-1222Poison on the skin?
Take off any clothing that the poison touched.
Rinse skin with running water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Call 1-800-222-1222Inhale poison?
Get to fresh air right away.
Call 1-800-222-1222Swallowed the wrong medicine or too much medicine?
Call 1-800-222-1222Swallowed something that’s not food or medicine?
Drink a small amount of milk or water.
Call 1-800-222-1222

Poison Prevention Tips

  • Store Poisons Safely
  • Store medicines and household products locked up, where children cannot see or reach them.
  • Store poisons in their original containers.
  • Use child-resistant packaging. But remember- nothing is child-proof!
  • Use Poisons Safely
  • Read the label. Follow the directions on medicines and products.
  • Are children around? Take the product or medicine with you to answer the door or the phone.
  • Lock products and medicines up after using them.
  • Is it medicine? Call it medicine, not candy.
  • Children learn by imitation. Take your medicines where children can’t watch.
  • Teach Children to Ask First
  • Poisons can look like food or drink. Teach children to ask an adult before eating or drinking anything.
  • Click here for a link to the Hawaii Department of Agriculture Web Site.